On space


As long as I remember, space has always been a main source of inspiration and a model for my compositions. Space concerns with both the tactile sensation of physical presence and the ephemeral awareness of atmosphere. Space also concerns with social organization, human behaviour and interaction. Imagining sounds spatially guides my musical choices. It provides me with a dramaturgy for the appearance of sounds in a musical discourse. How sounds changes in time equals to how I imagine them moving in space.

In my earlier works, still within the borders of ‘regular’ composed music for instruments and ensembles, my imagination of space mainly expressed by means of contrasting dynamics in the music. When sounds decrease in intensity they suggest a movement away, when loudness intensifies they are suggested to come closer. A rather simplistic approach, that nevertheless taugth me some essential awareness about spatiality. The need to make the listener really feel a sound piercing through ones head urged me to go into extremes with dynamics. To sharpen musical contrasts as much as possible increases the listeners awareness of suggested depths in spatial distances.

In my opera ‘Kane’, one soprano evokes a multitude of voices by performing sharp cut vocal fragments with contrasting intensities and speeds. As one line is whispered and the next word screamed, as one phrase gains intensity and the other fades away, the polarities of the voice unfold spatial distances. Yet at the same time they embody the presence of different dramatic expressions. Distinct patterns of behaviour equal specific spatial forms, as retreating is backwards, attacking is forward, being close allows intimacy, taking distance suggests leaving, swaying left to right is indecisive.

In this case spatial experiences are mere scripts that lead to musical gesture and form. Later I became more and more interested in the real thing. Not representing space but the actuality of space surrounding performer and listener.

In my work from 2006 on I have turned towards an experience-based site-specific art that takes place in the outside world, instead of the safe inside of the concert hall. The environment of a musical performance, whether in nature, urban surrounding or cyberspace, becomes itself the main subject of musical composition. Not an idea of space represented by sound, but the actual physical presence of the listeners and sounds in space is what is musically explored.

My opera ‘Water’ was situated in many different spaces of the sewage plant in the neighborhood Ondiep in Utrecht. With the composition of this opera I wanted to acknowledge first of all the magnificent presence of noises and tones in the industrial spaces, resulting from machines running and water flowing. With my music I extended these sounds and amplified them. By adding instrumental and electronic sounds I attempted to make the listener more aware of the physical proportions of the extraordinary spaces and focus attention to details inside the spaces that would otherwise stay unnoticed. I wanted to express atmospheres and emphasize the mood of each individual space more articulated.

In my opera ‘These Fragments I have shored against my ruins’ space became not only a sounding subject of the work, but also a place for human interaction. The audience, confronted with the intimacy and seduction of touch by the singers, is triggered to start moving, either attracked by or apprehensive for the physical encounter with the performers. By inducing movement of the listener, the musical space is constantly explored from different perspectives.

With the development of 4D Sound, and parallel to this the opera ‘Nikola’ inspired on the life, work and thought of Nikola Tesla, my spatial exploration have once again evolved to a next level. Now, the actuality of the space performers and listeners are in transcends to an illusionary level. The actual space is replaced with or interfered by the lifelike experience of transforming virtual spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment